UPDATE: Adamawa government says 17 dead, 41 injured in Madagali suicide attack

FILE PHOTO

The Adamawa state government has said 17 people were killed on Monday when two female suicide bombers detonated explosives at a busy motor park in Madagali town.

The state commissioner of Information, Ahmad Sajoh, who disclosed the casualty figure to PREMIUM TIMES over the telephone, also said 41 others were injured.

“The bombers came to the motor park which also serves as a market in the early hours of today,” Mr. Sajoh said. “The place was busy with people mostly those returning to Madagali after traveling for their Christmas break

“I can confirm to you that 17 people died and 41 were injured.”

Mr. Sajoh said some of the injured victims were taken to a community hospital in the town being run by the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital as an outreach centre, while others were taken to the General Hospital in Mubi.

“About three other victims whose injuries were more severe were however taken to the Federal Medical Centre in Yola for treatment,” he said.

The commissioner said the state governor, Mohammed Jibrilla, dispatched a team of officials to Madagali for an on-the-spot assessment.

The governor, he said, also ordered that the medical bills of the injured victims would be paid by the state government.

“As a government we have also already mapped out sensitization programme through our traditional institutions in which the populace would be sensitized on how to identify suicide bombers and what to do to stay safe,” Mr. Sajoh said.

“We have posters and other materials needed for such sensitization and they would effectively be used in most of our communities.”

The two female suicide bombers had attacked the Madagali motor park around 9 a.m Monday shortly after a similar attack on nearby Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
A witness, Danladi Buba, had told PREMIUM TIMES after the incident that about 30 people were killed with 16 others injured.
The Brigade Commander of 28 Task Force Brigade, Mubi, Victor Ezugwu, confirmed the incident, saying the injured were taken to hospital while the military had cordoned off the area.
The brigade commander said the situation had been brought under control.

The attack followed a series of gun and bomb attacks, between Sunday and Monday, by suspected Boko Haram militants on Maiduguri, the capital of neighbouring Borno State.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: Revealed!!! The Only Way Left of Getting an Extra Large Manhood and also Last Up to 38Mins+. Get the Insider Secret Here


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • REDEEM

    he Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said on Wednesday that the Nigerian military had met the December deadline to defeat the Boko Haram terrorists.

    The minister said this during his maiden meeting with editorial heads of media houses in Lagos.

    President Mohammadu Buhari had, upon assuming office, issued a December 31 deadline to the military to defeat the Boko Haram terrorists.

    “Today, I can report that the war against Boko Haram is largely won.

    “I can confidently say this because just recently, I led a group of 33 journalists from both the local and international media to the hotbed of the insurgency, that is, Maiduguri, Kondugua, Kaoure and Bama.

    “Today, I can report to you that the entire 70 plus kilometres stretch from Maiduguri to Bama and all the way to Banki which leads to Cameroun and the Central African Republic are in the hands of our gallant troops.”

    He said the military presence could be felt ”every few metres along the road; at a point along that road we were just a kilometre to Sambisa forest.

    • msirene

      Why is Boko Haram
      suddenly angry? Why is Boko Haram resuming killings suddenly at a
      ferocious rate? Some analysts say Boko Haram militias feel insulted by the
      lies Information Minister Lai Muhammed told the public that Boko Haram
      is defeated. But President Buhari echoed the same false statement on 24th
      December. So perhaps both false statements enrage Boko Haram? Who knows?
      Someone witty said Boko Haram is fed up with the Buhari administration’s deceit
      and will like to see off the lies-telling government as quickly as possible. It is
      somewhat true that the mostly illiterate staffed and mediocre driven Buhari
      government flatters to deceive.

      For example, after making bogus promise of free food for primary school pupils
      there’’s nothing in the Buhari 2016 budget for this free meal campaign pledge
      which could cost close to ₦250 billion a year. Ditto, there’s nothing in the budget
      for Buhari’s dole policy of ₦5,000 per month to the poorest 25 million Nigerians –
      which may separately cost ₦1.5 trillion. Nigerians feel duped by President Buhari.
      It will be no surprise if top hierarchies of the Boko Haram militias consider Buhari’s
      government ‘un-Islamic for lies-telling and mass deceit’. Who knows?

  • SAM .A

    Please PMB publish the names of BH sponsors and let people deal with them , enough of these Suicide Bombers . None of these girls 12 to 23 have money to purchase suicide bomber vests , some Nigerians put money down to buy it . Please let us all know these devilish Nigerians .

    • Otile

      Are you sure the news is true? Wait till we hear from your cohorts: Abubakar tundemash, Maria, Burbank, Guguru, julius, tunsj etc. Have you talked to them lately?