The attack by suspected members of the Boko Haram on Maiduguri has been foiled by soldiers, PREMIUM TIMES has learnt.
However, the neighbouring town of Monguno appears to have been taken over by the insurgents who are also said to have taken over the military barracks there, a senior soldier in the state capital told PREMIUM TIMES.
As if attacking from various fronts, soldiers were also battling the rampaging insurgents in Konduga, a town 35km from Maiduguri.
The military is expected to release details of the attacks after the battles are completed.
Our source said scores of people including soldiers and insurgents have been killed on the outskirts of Maiduguri since the current battles started late Saturday night.
Confirming the fall of Monguno to the insurgents, our source said “we have decimated the idiots (from Maiduguri) but Monguno has fallen”.
He said the military casualty from the Maiduguri and Monguno battles had been recorded, but would not provide details.
Already, the Army has imposed a curfew on Maiduguri.
The 7th Division of the Nigerian Army in Maiduguri on Sunday announced the 24-hour curfew following the attacks.
The Spokesperson of the Division, Sani Usman, said this in a statement he signed and issued in Maiduguri.
“Be informed of the imposition of a curfew on Maiduguri immediately,” the spokesperson said as quoted by the News Agency of Nigeria.
“The curfew will remain till further notice.”
Read our earlier story here.[liveblog]
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...