The government stated that Boko Haram had previously made threats against Mr. Buhari.
The National Security Adviser, NSA, Sambo Dasuki, has refuted claims that the Federal Government was responsible for the recent attack on a former head of state, Muhammadu Buhari and a Muslim cleric, Dahiru Bauchi.
Mr. Dasuki was addressing journalists after the extraordinary meeting of the National Council of State. He spoke alongside the Governors of Niger, Babangida Aliyu; Akwa Ibom, Godswil Apkabio; and Enugu, Sullivan Chime.
The meeting was called by President Goodluck Jonathan to discuss the state of the nation.
Mr. Dasuki noted that the Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, had threatened to attack Mr. Buhari as far back as February.
Mr. Shekau, in a video released by the terrorist group, had referred to Mr. Buhari and some other northern and Muslim leaders as infidels, promising to deal with them.
“We said something about the attack on Buhari and Sheik Dahiru Bauchi . There was a threat as far back as February this year issued by Shekau calling them infidel by name and position saying that they were in trouble and they were going to see.
“Well, the government was not responsible, and if you say that the government was responsible in the case of General Buhari, why don’t you say the same in the case of Sheik Dahiru Bauchi?” the NSA asked rhetorically.
He said that the accusations against the government were made “because it is what sells the paper.”
“That is the most unfortunate thing. And we want say that it was not only General Buhari; there were others mentioned too,” he said.
Dozens of people were killed in separate bomb attacks on Messrs Buhari and Bauchi on July 23.
The Council, during its meeting, resolved to deliberately support President Goodluck Jonathan, to enable Nigeria get rid of the Boko Haram insurgency before December.
The Niger State Governor, Mr. Aliyu, noted that leadership was not about a beauty contest, but taking difficult decisions. He noted that most of the threat posed to democracy emanated from politicians and leaders, adding that the boundaries and responsibilities of leadership must also be understood.
“More fundamental is the issue of the buck stopping with the leadership. In fact, it came to the fore that if there is any threat to either the state or democracy, probably the threat is coming from politicians and from leaders of the country. We must understand the boundaries of leadership and also the responsibilities that are involved. Leadership is not about beauty contest.
“In leadership, you must take difficult decisions and really go about implementing them. So, all the things came to the fore at the meeting and subsequently, each of us made it a deliberate resolution to all bi-partisan or non-partisan to support the President to make sure that we get rid of this insurgency and indeed suggesting that before December,” he said.
He urged Nigerians to pay no attention to predictions by other countries that come 2015 the country would fall apart.
“Yes something will happen in 2015 but something positive” he said, adding that the ties of Nigeria will be strongly bonded after 2015.
The meeting was attended by five former leaders including Yakubu Gowon; Shehu Shagari, Ibrahim Babangida, Abdusalami Abubakar, and Ernest Sonekan.
Two former Chief Justices, Muhammed Uwais and Alfa Belgore, were also present.
The Governors in attendance included Gabriel Suswam (Benue), Godswill Akpabio (Akwa Ibom), Olusegun Mimiko (Ondo), Babangida Aliu (Niger), Rochas Okorocha (Imo) and Sullivan Chime (Enugu).
Also present were Seriake Dickso (Bayelsa), Abdufatah Ahmed (Kwara), Adams Oshiomhole (Edo), Willy Obiano (Anambra) and Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto),
Others were Abubakar Yari (Zamfara), Ibrahim Shettima (Borno) and the Acting Governor of Adamawa state, Umaru Fintiri.