The Nigerian Army has denied forceful ejection of about 90 families from their homes in the Rumuomoi area of Port Harcourt for allegedly developing structures on its land.
Maj. Michael Etete, the Public Relations Officer of the 2 Brigade Command of the Nigerian Army, made this known in Port Harcourt on Friday.
According to him, the owners of the affected houses were duly given notices to quit.
Mr. Etete said the affected persons had illegally developed structures on lands belonging to the army, adding that the army possessed the Certificate of Occupancy of the land.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that 90 families have sued the army for alleged unlawful ejection.
Some of them told NAN that they had suffered untold hardship since their ejection in July.
Goodluck Chinwo, a politician, said his house had been taken over by the army.
“They were here when we acquired the land from the Rumuomoi community, they saw when we built the houses, why did they just come to take it over?’’ he asked.
Another victim, Kingsley Orji, said his wife and three children had been staying in a friend’s house since they were ejected.
In another development, the Joint Military Task Force in Port Harcourt has arrested a middle aged man, Cosmas Fatusi, for allegedly buying and selling illegally refined diesel.
Mr. Etete alleged that Fatusi carried out the illegal oil business in a filling station at Omuagwa, near Port Harcourt.
He said proper investigation would be carried out into the activities of the culprit and that he would be prosecuted.