Twenty six victims of food poisoning at Yassharu village in Kafur Local Government Area of Katsina State have survived the incident.
They were treated and discharged from the Kafur Comprehensive Health Centre, according to the officer in-charge of the hospital, Hussamatu Ibrahim.
The victims had consumed a local meal, “Tuwo”, on Saturday, prepared with sterilised guinea corn that was meant for planting.
The guinea corn had been mixed with chemicals and prepared to be used as seeds.
Mr. Ibrahim said all the victims survived the tragedy after series of medications.
He said the victims comprising 20 children and six adults, were brought to the clinic on Saturday night unconscious with most of them vomiting and excreting some substances.
The Primary Health Care Coordinator of Kafur Local Government, Shu’aibu Garba, confirmed the incident and said his department had supported the hospital with drugs and other items needed to contain the situation.
Mr. Garba commended the health workers for promptly responding to the situation and urged people to be vigilant and report such problems to the health centre.