Lagos suspends sack of 788 doctors

The Lagos State Government, Thursday, suspended the sack of the 788 doctors it dismissed earlier this month.

The suspension followed a closed-door meeting between Babatunde Fashola, the state governor, and Bola Tinubu, the National Leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN).

Flanked by the state governor and Tunji Bello, the commissioner for environment, Mr. Tinubu addressed journalists at the state House, Alausa, urging the doctors to return to work.

“I have been meeting with the governor to discuss the appeal of the party’s leadership and well-meaning Nigerians and other organisations who are committed to the welfare of our people for him to be more flexible, for him to really look at the issue of the doctors strike critically and I announce to you that he has agreed to suspend the dismissal of those doctors,” said Mr. Tinubu.

The former Lagos State governor said that there was a need to build institutions that would develop people and prioritize the welfare of the masses, adding that there has not been any problem without a resolution.

“The governor has agreed to suspend the dismissal of the doctors and advice that they should go back to their duty posts and follow the right procedure,” Mr. Tinubu said.

“I don’t see a point of no return here and since people are the cornerstone of the progressive policy of the state, I want to thank the governor for looking at it from the point of view of the people,” he added.

Mr. Tinubu further advised the doctors to go back to their duties “immediately” and “forget this intractable position.”

“We can solve all those problems,” the ACN leader said.

“I don’t want to comment further until all parties respect this outcome, the governor all along has not been impossible, it’s a question of the institution that we all have developed.  

“He has repeated it several times that the hiring and firing of the doctors is in the hands of the Health Service Commission.

“I am very much aware of it and I have to understand him,” Tinubu said.

On his own part, the Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola stated that after considering the appeal from Nigerians, he has directed the Health Service Commission to reverse the sack order.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.