The National Youth Service Corps in Plateau, on Monday, denied reports that newly deployed corps members in the state were fleeing the camp following Sunday’s suicide bomb attack on St. Finbar’s Catholic Church, Jos.
NAN sources close to the camp, told the agency that the news going round the town was that following the Sunday’s attack, fear-stricken NYSC members, mostly from the Southern states, were fleeing the orientation camp.
The sources also claimed that some parents had been making distress calls asking their children to return home.
But the NYSC authorities, in refuting the claims that the corps members were fleeing, dismissed the claims as `mere rumours’.
“No one is fleeing. All you hear are rumours,” the NYSC spokesman, Mr Sam Nwokocha said.
He said that adequate security had been provided for the corps members and that there was no cause for alarm.
“We have policemen and men of the military Special Task Force (STF) maintaining security in the camp”.
“ In fact, the corps members are in high spirit and going through the orientation course without fear,” Mr. Nkwopaea said.
The attack in the Plateau State capital is the second since the batch “A” of the 2012/2013 corps members reported to the orientation camp.
The first attack was carried out penultimate Sunday at the COCIN Church headquarters located in the centre of the city.
Meanwhile, the Plateau government at the opening of the orientation camp assured the corps members posted to the state of adequate security during the orientation and in their places of primary assignment.
Lohfa Bako, Commissioner for Youth Development, who gave the assurance, said that adequate security arrangement had been made to ensure their safety during the service year.
He, however, cautioned them on the need to be security conscious.
Maram Maful, Plateau NYSC Coordinator, also assured the corps members of adequate security while they undertake the mandatory national service.
NAN correspondents, who visited the NYSC orientation camp observed that there were thorough security checks at the entrance, with cars totally barred from the premises.
Men of the joint Special Task Force were also seen to be at strategic points around the camp.