Some Muslim civil servants at the Lagos State Secretariat, Alausa, on Monday, expressed disappointment with Babatunde Fashola, the state governor, over the demolition of mosques within the secretariat.
The demolition, which was done over the weekend, was sequel to an order given by Mr. Fashola, who is also a Muslim, two weeks ago which placed a ban on all religious activities within the secretariat.
The mosques pulled down include the one behind the Deputy Governor’s office as well as the one attached to the Ministry of Justice.
“We now have to go across the road, outside the secretariat, every time we want to pray,” said a civil servant at the Ministry of Finance.
It was gathered that the demolition was carried out over the weekend to avoid violent reactions from the Muslim community.
Civil servants who pray at the mosques were shocked on Monday when they arrived for prayers only to discover that the temporary structure had been reduced to rubble.
A senior government official said that the ban on religious activities was for “security reasons.”
“There was a ban on religious activities within the secretariat based on security reports that the step would strengthen the security within the secretariat in view of the recent bomb blasts across the country,” said the official who did not want to be named.
According to the official, all Muslims are expected to go to the Lagos State Secretariat Mosque, Alausa, for their prayers.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...