Indigenous firm kicks against privatization of motor park

The indigenous firm handling the Utako Motor Park, Jabi, Abuja, has kicked against plans by the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) to concession the park to a Turkish firm.

E.Ekesons Nigeria Limited, the indigenous firm, through Festus Keyamo, its lawyer, advised the Turkish firm and the general public to “desist” from such a move.

At a recent stakeholders’ meeting, Minister of State for the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Olajumoke Akinjide, announced plans to concession the park to a Turkish consortium for US$100 million.

“The Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), a statutory and constitutionally recognised body legally allocated Jabi Motor Park to our client, E. Ekeson Bros. Nigeria Limited to develop and manage the said park,” said Mr. Keyamo, in a statement made available Saturday.

Mr. Keyamo noted that AMAC executed an irrevocable Power of Attorney in favour of his client as the sole developer of Jabi Park, adding that his client has invested more than N5 billion to develop the park to its current state.

E. Ekeson Bros. Nigeria Limited and AMAC are still in court over a dispute arising from the development and management of the park.

Last year, the indigenous firm approached the FCT High Court praying the court to declare that the power of attorney and development agreement between her and AMAC authorizing her to develop and manage the Utako Motor Park is still subsisting and binding between both parties.

The firm also asked the court to grant an order of perpetual injunction restraining AMAC from appointing any other person as a developer of the Utako Motor Park.

Alternatively, the firm asked the court to grant that AMAC pay her N5 billion “being general damages for the loss of businesspsychologicaltrauma, humiliation and unnecessary expenses.

Last December, the Justice O.C Agbaza of the FCT High Court granted an injunction restraining AMAC from embarking on any form of excavation, construction or evacuation work in Utako Motor Park pending the hearing and determination of the suit.

Mr. Keyamo said that the order is “still subsisting.”

“The Honourable Minister cannot take those steps he intends to take until the rights of the parties in court are determined,” he added.

 

 


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.