President Goodluck Jonathan appears fed up with the antics of the dreaded Boko Haram terrorist sect, whose leaders and sponsors have so far chosen to remain faceless, shoot from the hip, without the boldness to show up in public.
The President, who was speaking in an interview with Reuters at the State House, Abuja, Thursday said he is prepared to dialogue with the leaders of the group on their grievances if they are willing to come forward and identify themselves.
“If they clearly identify themselves now and say this is the reason why we are either resisting or confronting government, or this is the reason why we destroy some innocent people and their properties, then there will be a basis for dialogue with them”, the President said.
“We will dialogue with them. If they let us know their problems, we will solve their problems. But, if they don’t identify themselves, who would we dialogue with?” Mr. Jonathan said.
The president equally accused the sect of having ties with other terrorist groups outside Nigeria, pointing out that he is convinced that military confrontation alone would not stop the insurgency by the sect.
According to him, resolving the Boko Haram insurgency by government would be more difficult than the militancy in the Niger Delta in 2009, which necessitated the amnesty programme used in quelling the crisis.
Meanwhile, an audio recording purported to be from the leader of Jamaatu ahlil sunnah lil daawati wal Jihad, Abubakar Shekau, was uploaded to YouTube Thursady.
In the video, Mr. Shekau was heard alleging that most of the civilians that lost their lives during last Friday’s attacks in Kano were killed by soldiers and police men.