More than twenty-four hours after the extremist Boko Haram sect launched an attack on Kano, bombing security installations and shooting several people dead, President Goodluck Jonathan has finally broken his silence, saying he would ensure that those who masterminded the attacks “face the full wrath of the law”.
Nigerians had expected the president to speak out moments after the incident to at least reassure citizens of their safety and offer condolences to relatives of the victims.
Even now, the president has not personally spoken on the incident. His statement, which rings like a usual presidential refrain after each national tragedy, was signed by his spokesperson, Reuben Abati.
On social media networks, Nigerians are tearing the statement to shred saying it was uninspiring, and offers no one any soothing balm at this difficult time when citizens terribly fear for their safety and sleep with one eye closed.
“I want to re-assure Nigerians, the international Community, and members of the fourth estate of the realm, who lost one of their colleagues, a reporter with Channels Television that all those involved in that dastardly act would be made to face the full wrath of the law,” Mr. Jonathan said in his statement.
The president has made similar promises after every bombing. But no one has so far been brought to book. If anything, Boko Haram is becoming even more daring, striking at the heart of our security installations.
What even angered citizens more is the claim that only seven people died in an attack that over 100 people have been reported dead.
However, the president said in his statement that those killed yesterday in Kano would not be allowed to die in vain.
“It is with a heart full of sadness and pain that I convey my condolences on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the families, friends, associates and relatives of all those who lost their lives in the acts of violence in Kano on Friday.
“These are honest and patriotic Nigerians who were brutally and recklessly cut down by agents of terror. As a responsible Government, we will not fold our hands and watch enemies of democracy, for that is what these mindless killers are, perpetrate unprecedented evil in our land.”
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...