Organized Labour has called off its nationwide strike over the January 1 increase in pump price of petrol by the government.
The strike was called off during a press conference in Abuja on Monday afternoon after a meeting with the president the last night.
The labour leaders say they consulted widely before reaching the decision which saw Labour backing down on its previous stand that the government should revert to N65 a litre before the strikes would be suspended.
Abdulwaheed Omar, president of the Nigeria Labour Congress, said the union would continue negotiations with the Alfa Belgore committee set up by the government to mediate between labour and the government.
A source however told Premium Times that labour leaders were intimidated and blacked into backing down from the face-off with government.
A presidential source said the president informed the labour leaders that he was in possession of security reports suggesting there would be a complete breakdown of law and order in the country should the strike and mass action continue.
Our source said the president claimed the protests had been hijacked by anti-government elements and threatened the labour leaders that he would hold the labour leaders responsible for any breach of the peace across the country.
“Labour leaders were subsequently threatened with the security and unity of the country if they do not back out of the strikes,” the source said.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...