Victor Ebhaleme, the Field Officer of the Joint Task Force (JTF) on ‘Operation Restore Order (ODO)’ in Maiduguri, Borno State, says there is no cause for alarm over Wednesday’s twin bomb blast in Maiduguri.
He advised residents to go about their normal duties and avoid spreading rumours.
Col. Ebhaleme, who confirmed the blasts to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday in Maiduguri, said there were no casualties and that no arrest had been made.
“There is no cause for alarm; nobody was affected by the blast, and the JTF is in control. People should be calm and go about their normal businesses.”
NAN reports that residents of Maiduguri expressed concern on Wednesday after a twin bomb blast occurred at the Customs Barracks in Ruwan-Zafi at about 7.30 p.m.
Eyewitnesses said the blasts occurred when the people were observing the late night Muslim prayers.
“We were in the Mosque praying when suddenly we heard a loud noise; it caused panic as people started running home for safety. Few minutes later we heard another blast from the same area,” Isa Djafara, a resident said.
Ibrahim Leko, another resident, said he was at a local tea joint when the explosion took place,
“No life was lost but it caused enough panic. So it is very difficult to actually say what happened exactly, but the explosions were loud enough to cause panic.”