Sowore tackles Buhari on Plateau killings

The Publisher of popular news website, Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore
The Publisher of popular news website, Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore

Omoyele Sowore, publisher of Nigerian online news website, Sahara Reporters, has called for the prosecution of the killers of innocent citizens in Plateau State.

In a statement signed by Rachael Onamusi-Kpiasi, his director of public relations and media, the presidential aspirant also called for an urgent resolution of farmers-herdsmen crises in Nigeria.

He said President Muhammadu Buhari’s statement on the killings indicates that the latest crisis is evidence of how Nigerian lives have been cheapened.

“Like other cases that have occurred before now, no arrests have been made and no prosecutions of those who perpetrated these heinous crimes will likely occur.

“We urge President Buhari to consider his contribution to the cheapening of Nigerian lives.”

“In over three years of his government, hundreds of Nigerians have lost their lives to this conflict, yet not one conviction of the perpetrators of these heinous crimes has been successfully prosecuted.”

He attributed the continuous killings of innocent citizens to the failure of Nigerian government to secure lives and property and to prosecute those who brazenly commit murder and cause mayhem.

“Instead of acting to secure the peace; instead of rounding up the perpetrators – no matter who they are; instead of prosecuting the criminals who murdered 100 of our fellow citizens and destroyed people’s livelihood and property, the Buhari government is offering cheap platitudes”

He called on the government to round up all the perpetrators and commence legal action against those who master minded the wanton destruction of lives and property.

The police in Plateau State confirmed 86 people dead in the violence that erupted on Saturday in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area.

The violence, allegedly by armed herdsmen, almost led to reprisal attacks in Jos, the state capital, on Sunday, leading the government to declare a curfew.

A resident of the Barkin Ladi had earlier told PREMIUM TIMES that 120 people were killed by the attackers.

In a statement on Sunday evening, the police also confirmed that six persons were injured, with 50 houses razed.

On Monday, the chairman the North-central chapter of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), Danladi Ciroma, condemned the attacks.

Mr. Ciroma, however, said in a statement that he believed the attacks were “retaliatory.”


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.