A lone suicide bomber was on Tuesday afternoon shot dead as he attempted to attack a military barracks in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, a witness said.
The incident happened at about the time some internally displaced persons (IDPs) were busy burying five of their colleagues that were slaughtered by suspected Boko Haram insurgents around Nguro in Konduga Local Government Area.
Witnesses said the remains of the five locals, identified as IDPs, were on Monday found a day after suspected Boko Haram members attacked and beheaded them in Nguro village.
The victims were identified as residents of Balle Shuwari.
Balle Shuwari, located about 5km from Giwa barracks, was part of the communities sacked by Boko Haram.
The sack of the community led the victims to become displaced, thus living in the IDP camp in Konduga before the Sunday attack.
Speaking on the shot suicide bomber, a leader of the Civilian-JTF, Danbatta Bello, informed PREMIUM TIMES that the suspect had intended to make his way into the barracks before some soldiers spotted him and gunned him down.
“It happened at about 2.40 p.m. today (Tuesday) when the suicide bomber was spotted towards the perimeter fencing of Giwa barracks and he was immediately gunned down by soldiers,” said Mr. Bello.
“I had gone to the scene with my boys to evacuate the body of dead bomber and went to deposit same at the hospital”.
Mr. Bello said he could not immediately confirm the attack and killing of five persons on Monday evening in Konduga.
But a coordinator of civil society groups in Maiduguri, Ahmed Shehu, who also confirmed the incidents to PREMIUM TIMES said the five victims were from Balle Shuwari village of Konduga Local Government.
He said the three days post burial Islamic prayers is expected to hold on Wednesday at Polo area of Maiduguri.
Boko Haram has sustained attacks around Maiduguri particularly coming from the area that links the Borno capital with Konduga town.
Only last week, Boko Haram insurgents attacked about a dozen IDPs who were out in the bush hunting, slaughtering four of them. Two of them are yet to be accounted for.
The Boko Haram insurgency has caused the death of about 100,000 people since 2009.