Premium Times seeks applications for the position of a Managing Editor. The position is full time and anticipated start date is September 1st 2016.
Premium Times, established in 2011, is a Nigerian multimedia news content organisation based in Abuja with a vision to help strengthen Nigeria’s democracy, as well as assist in creating sustainable and inclusive values to a Nigerian economy that delivers lasting benefits to people, communities, and markets.
Premium Times is also committed to the socio-economic wellbeing of citizens, promoting and enriching their cultural practices, and advocating for public accountability, transparency and protection of human rights, in line with the values expected of a modern democratic state.
The duties of the Managing Editor include but not limited to the following:
- The incumbent will oversee and direct the day-to-day editorial operations
- Coordinate editorial meetings and line editors review sessions
- Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors
- Control schedules and enforce deadlines (for writers, photographers, designers etc.)
- Oversee copy procedures and ensure disciplined copy flow
- Evaluate finalized copies for compliance with house policies, style and tone
- Implement organisation’s ethical vision as basis for the making of sound journalism
- Actively expand the source profile of the organisation and ensure analytic content that supports and guides effective public policy.
- Resolve editorial issues and challenges as they arise
- Work with editor in chief to ensure industry leadership in content coverage, editing standards, and content distribution.
- Proven experience as managing editor or relevant role as line editor
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing
- High proficiency in English
- Working knowledge of online platforms like Word Press and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) concepts.
- Abilities in planning operations and coordinating people
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and people abilities
- Reliability and efficiency
- Attention to details
- A degree in any field
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience at the time of application
Additional qualifications: Experience with advanced editorial techniques and processes are required. Must have a demonstrated record of professional accomplishment as an investigative reporter.
Preferred qualifications: Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate strong leadership abilities and have a proven record of mentoring and developing reporting skills in others.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with professional experience and on rank.
Mode of Application: Completed applications must include: a Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, a strategy document to elaborate the operational vision of candidate and sample publications. A statement of contributions to addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through documented memo, research, teaching, and/or service would be an added advantage.
Applicants must also provide contact information for three letters of recommendation. Letters will only be requested for final candidates. All letters will be treated as confidential.
Interested and qualified applicants should send their application to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than 25th of July 2016.
Premium Times is a diversity sensitive organisation and female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: Call Willie - +2348098788999