17 cars were recovered from the gang.
The Nigerian Police on Monday said it has busted an armed robbery syndicate that specialises in stealing state of the art cars.
In a statement, the Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, said police detectives attached to the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, FSARS, Force CID Annex, Lagos, smashed the syndicate.
Mr. Mba said the operation followed a “discreet, sustained and painstaking investigation,” resulting in the arrest of key members of the gang and the recovery of 17 exotic cars. Two locally-made single barrel pistols and assorted ammunition were also recovered.
The spokesperson said the police commenced its investigations into the gang’s activities following a petition by one of the victims of the gang. The victim was robbed of two vehicles and other valuables on June 27, 2013 at his Ile-Ife home.
The petition led to the arrest of Omoniyi Ajewole, a 28-year-old man from Ilesha, Osun State, whose evidence upon interrogation led to the arrest of other gang members.
The other gang members include 20 year-old Oluseye Jacob, who is also from Ilesha, Oluwadamilare Rasaki, Ajisafe Olawale, Ogunniyi Sunday, Tolani Babatunde aka Biggy, Abubakar Umar aka Barry, Odeyemi Itunnu aka Gomina and Ayodeji Olumudi.
Mr. Mba said that all the suspects connected with the crime would soon be arraigned before a competent court of law for criminal charges proffered against them.
The Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, called on citizens to support the police with relevant information on the case. He asked those who had lost their vehicles in the recent past to come forward with their proof of ownership so as to reclaim them.
Below is the list of vehicles recovered from the gang
– Toyota Highlander Jeep Model 2008 with Reg. No. GWA-489-BC
– One Toyota Matrix car Model 2007, Reg. No. RSH-196-DA and other personal effects belonging to the said victim
– One Toyota RAV-4 Jeep with Reg. No. EPE-477-AC
– Two unregistered Toyota Highlander Jeeps
– Two unregistered Toyota Saloon Cars, 2012 model
– One unregistered Toyota Camry 2009 model
– One Toyota Avensis Saloon Car with Reg. No. EKY-989-AX
– One M/Benz E-Class 350 Series with Reg. No. LND-919-EC
– One Honda Accord Coupe with Reg. No. EKY-857-CH
– One Toyota Camry car with Reg. No. YEN-902-SY
– One Toyota Highlander with Reg. No. GWA-489-BC
– One Toyota Camry with Reg. No. AKD-882-AC
– One unregistered Sienna Bus
– One unregistered Toyota RAV-4 2009 model.