Ramadan: Muslim group condemns Boko Haram attack on Churches

The missing Chibok schoolgirls held captive by Boko Haram

The Muslim group says the Nigerian Government should negotiate with the Boko Haram.

————————————–

An Islamic organisation, the Muslim Rights Concern, MURIC, has condemned Sunday’s attacks on Churches in three villages near Chibok, Borno State, by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect.

Over 200 school girls were abducted from their school in GSS Chibok on April 14 by Boko Haram members who still have them in their custody.

MURIC in a statement on Tuesday said the attack of Sunday coming on the second day of the Ramadan fasting, is an infringement on the rules of Ramadan which requires Muslims to pursue a robust spiritual programme involving supplications, glorification of Allah and enlightenment during the holy month.

“Here lies further proof that Boko Haram is Haram. For whereas Islam teaches the halting of hostilities in Ramadan, Boko Haram chooses the same Ramadan to kill with reckless abandon; while Islam teaches the pursuance of education by both sexes from childhood to old age, Boko Haram forbids education for the girl-child; while Islam teaches peaceful coexistence, Boko Haram pursues a barbaric agenda of killing and maiming,” MURIC said in statement.

MURIC charged the Nigerian authorities to demonstrate commitment to the war against insurgents.

“We expect Nigerian soldiers to have studied the tactics adopted by the insurgents by now and to have evolved ways and means of truncating their gimmicks,” MURIC said.

Negotiate with them

MURIC, however, advised that the Nigerian government starts considering a round-table discussion with the insurgents.

“This is a group that cannot build but it is capable of destroying. Wise counsel dictates that the Federal Government must stoop to conquer.

“Too many lives are lost on daily basis. The authorities should find ways of placating Boko Haram soonest in order to bring peace to the North East.

“There are currently offers on ground for this initiative. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo recently revealed that he was in contact with the insurgents but FG’s reaction to his offer was cold.

“A lawyer who is allegedly close to the group, Hajiya Aisha Wakil, reported last week that Boko Haram was seeking amnesty and that the group was ready to swap the 219 girls with 70 Boko Haram detainees. We are yet to hear any reaction from FG,” MURIC said.

It said the ball is in Mr. Jonathan’s court.

“We charge the president to be more proactive in these matters. Nigerians are waiting to hear his response to the offers on ground. It is escapist to claim that Obasanjo knows how to see the president.

“There are things FG can facilitate in such circumstances. Nigerians are not fools. We are very eager to see peace returning to the North East, the president’s North East, because the whole country is Mr. President’s constituency. Fire in the North East is therefore fire on the president’s roof,” it said.


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.