Mr. Obiano spoke of the South East governors’ loyalty to President Goodluck Jonathan.
The Anambra State governor, Willie Obiano, has said there is no way the Boko Haram sect can infiltrate the South East.
Mr. Obiano said this is because the governors in the South East zone are standing by to prevent insurgency.
There had been a plot to bomb Winners Chapel church in Owerri on Sunday, but the Police discovered and foiled the bomb blast.
No group has claimed responsibility for planting the explosive device. The Boko Haram, which has killed over 12,000 people since its insurgency began in 2009, has not carried out any attack outside the 19 northern states although it recently threatened to do so.
Speaking to journalists at the Presidential Villa after meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan, Mr. Obiano assured that Boko Haram will not get to the South East.
The Anambra governor visited the president alongside Governors Theodore Orji of Abia, Martins Elechi of Ebonyi and Sullivan Chime of Enugu. Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo was absent at the meeting.
“No they can’t they get there (South East). I can assure you of that. We will not allow that to happen. I can’t tell you in any material details about bombs found, or not found. All I can assure you is that we are very alert in the South East and we are watching what is going on. I can assure you that Boko Haram cannot come to the South East,” he said.
Mr. Obiano said the governors’ visit was a solidarity visit to Mr. Jonathan and to assure him of their support and backing.
“The South East governors came in this morning to assure him that we are with him all the way and that he can count on us.
“The President is a human being and he is under a lot of pressure and some other people are making the work a lot more difficult for him. Instead of supporting him to stir us out of these stormy waters they are adding kerosene to fire.
“We are here to tell him that we are supporting him and that he should count on us,” Mr. Obiano said.
He said his administration and the World Bank are working on erosion sites to prevent erosion from ravaging the state.
“They have expanded the four erosion sites they are working on currently to 12; so they are adding eight more erosion sites. I believe that this intervention which is 50/50 per cent contribution will go a long way in helping to tackle the erosion sites we have in the state.
“We are also tackling erosion from the legal point of view. Bush burning will no longer be allowed, so also is cutting roads to lay pipes to houses. These are some of the factors that lead to erosion.
We want people to do the necessary things that they should do; we want people to stop termination of drainages abruptly. We are putting a law in place to ensure that anybody that violates the law will face the consequences,” he said.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...