The supporters of Sanusi Ado Bayero, the son of the late Emir of Kano, who was defeated by Lamido Sanusi to emerge the emir of the ancient city, have taken to the streets to protest the rejection of their preferred candidate.
A resident of the town, Ibrahim Hamisu, told PREMIUM TIMES that the protesters set up bonfires using tyres around the Emirs’ palace.
He also said another group of protesters, who were marching to the Government House, were stopped by armed soldiers and policemen who formed a barricade to stop them from getting near the seat of government.
Another resident, Bala Usman, said the protesters were also destroying all government properties in sight.
The Secretary to the Government of Kano state, Rabi’u Bichi, had earlier announced the selection of Mr. Sanusi as the new emir of Kano following his recommendation by the kingmakers and approval by Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso.
Mr. Bichi made the brief announcement at Government House, Kano, on Sunday. He disclosed that the government chose Mr. Sanusi’s out of three candidates forwarded to him by Kano Kingmakers.
“Under state customary law, the kingmakers comprising the Madaki, Sarkin Bai, Makaman and Sarkin Dawaki Maituta had sat down and forwarded three names to the government to choose the one that will succeed the Late Emir Ado Abdullahi Bayero.
“Out of these three names the government has approved Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, the Dan Majen Kano, and former Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, as the new emir of Kano,” the SSG said.
The SSG was accompanied to the briefing by the kingmakers which include the Sarkin Dawaki Maituta, Bello Abubakar; the Sarkin Bai, Mukhtar Adnan; the Makama, Sarki Ibrahim and the Madaki, Yusuf Nabahani Ibrahim.
The state commissioners of information and state affairs, Abubakar Danburam and Aminu Abdulsalam were also in attendance.
Reasons for protests
A source at the Emirate council said the supporters of Mr. Bayero were protesting because they felt shortchanged.
“Earlier in the day, message came to the Prince while he was at the palace receiving condolences that he needed to go and get set for turbanning in case he was the one selected, so, many of his supporters followed him to his private residence and most of them assumed that he must have been selected since he was getting set for turbanning,” our source said.
“Unknown to many, both nominees were required to be ready whether they will eventually be selected or not, but many misconstrued the order and were shocked when Sanusi Lamido was eventually announced and they are the ones protesting now.”