How Boko Haram killed Emir of Gwoza- Borno Government

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents

The military says troops responded promptly to the attack.

The Borno State Government has given details of the attack on a convoy of three prominent emirs in northeast Nigeria, which killed one of the traditional rulers, the Emir of Gwosa, Idrissa Timta.

Mr. Timta died in the attack while the Emir of Askira, Abdullahi Ibn Muhammadu Askirama and the Emir of Uba, Ali Ibn Ismaila Mamza, survived.

The three chiefs, who rode in the same vehicle, came under attack on their way to Biu where they planned to pick the Emir of Biu, before heading to Gombe State for the funeral of the of the Emir of Gombe, Shehu Abubakar, the state government said.

Suspected Boko Haram militants opened fire as they travelled along Tashan Alade in Biu Local Government Area, the Secretary to Borno State Government, Baba Jidda, said Friday.

“The late Emir was in company of the Emir of Askira, Alhaji Abdullahi Ibn Muhammadu Askirama and the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Ismaila Mamza,” Mr. Jidda said.

The Borno SSG said the late Emir of Gwoza had visited his counterpart, the Emir of Uba, on Thursday and passed the night in Uba, ahead of their planned trip on Friday.

“The two Emirs were joined by the Emir of Askira on Friday and the three drove in a convoy to Biu, where they were ambushed by gunmen around Tashan Alade,” he said.

Mr. Jidda said the gunmen specifically targeted the vehicles conveying the three emirs and opened fire.

A policeman in the convoy was also shot by the attackers but he survived the attack,” he said.

The Nigerian military said soldiers deployed in nearby Garkida responded to the attack by a “band of terrorists”.

“The Emirs of Uba and Askira were secured while the body of Emir of Gwoza who died in the attack has been recovered,” defence spokesperson, Chris Olukolade, said in a statement.

He said troops are currently on “aggressive patrols” along the entire route in search of the assailants.

Local officials in Borno State had earlier told PREMIUM TIMES that after the traditional rulers were ambushed and attacked, the emirs tried to escape by fleeing into the bush.

Another version of the story said the Emir died of shock as security agents engaged his abductors in a gun duel.

The two abducted emirs were elevated to First Class traditional ruler status only in January.

The abduction came 46 days after the Boko Haram sect whisked away over 250 schoolgirls from their dormitories in Chibok.

Over 200 of the girls are yet to be freed.

NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.