Over 200 girls were kidnapped in their boarding school in Borno.
Scores of Nigerian women and some men continued their protest in Abuja on Wednesday to demand the release of the kidnapped girls.
The women demanded the release of the over 200 girls kidnapped from their hostels in the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State on April 14.
During Tuesday’s protest, the women changed locations from the Unity Fountain in Maitama to Grand Square in Central Area and then marched to Old Parade Ground with placards to wait for the Chief of Defence staff, Alex Badeh.
As they marched they chorused, “All we are saying, bring back our girls alive. Now!”
One of the protesters and a mother of two from Edo State, Aisha Yusuf, said the World Economic Forum on Africa which will begin on Wednesday will not affect their protest.
“We will keep doing this until we get our girls back home and alive. Until we hug them in our arms. We know we are allowed to protest because our constitution allows that.
“I have a 12-year-old and I cannot just imagine her being abducted and not knowing where she is.
“I might not have carried the kidnapped girls in my womb but they are my daughters.
“Every time I go back home, I hug my daughter because I think there are more mothers out there who don’t have the opportunity to hug their daughters and it’s just not fair,” Ms. Yusuf told PREMIUM TIMES
It is not clear why the protest was moved from the Unity Fountain in Maitama which is close to Transcorp Hilton, the venue of the World Economic Forum.
The Federal Government had earlier ordered the closure of all public offices and schools in Abuja from Wednesday ahead of the forum. Security has been increased on the streets of Abuja in preparation for the forum.
After the meeting, some of the delegates briefed the protesters.
Jibrin Ibrahim of the Centre for Democracy and Development told other protesters after the meeting that the need for regular information and communication from the military on what was being done to rescue the girls was one of the key demands.
“As Nigerians, we need to be regularly briefed on what is being done. We are not saying we want to get the details of the operation that need to be kept secret.
“But at least as Nigerians, we need to get regular information and briefing that reflect the reality in the field,” he said.
Another delegate and former Minister of Education, Obiageli Ezekwesili, said “We don’t doubt that something is going on, but whatever is going on is not persuasive and that is why we came out to demand better action by the military.”
Ms. Ezekwesili, however, said the chief of defence staff assured them that the military was scaling up its operations to ensure that the girls were rescued unhurt.
In his address, the Director of Defence Information, Chris Olukolade, told the protesters that the military is “not shirking our responsibility’’,
“I want to assure you all that Nigerian military is freshly committed and is assuring the Nigerian Public that the best will be done to bring back our girls safe and alive.
“Please keep supporting us, keep praying along, we will get result very soon,” Mr. Olukolade said.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...