A list of some of the survivors had been made available at the National Hospital in Abuja.
The families of some of the persons who died in Monday’s bomb blast in Nyanya trooped to the National Hospital, Abuja on Wednesday to claim the corpses of their loved ones.
At least 75 people were confirmed to have died from the bomb attack.
Family members were seen filling application forms that would enable them claim the corpses of their loved ones.
They were although worried about the delay and complexities in getting the corpses.
One of the relatives, Hajiya Zainab, said, said the president had ordered that corpses be retained despite the Islamic injunction on burying the dead immediately.
She said it was important to her that the remains of her late sister be buried without further delay.
“It was said that the president ordered that corpses should not be released to anyone, but as Muslims, we do not keep corpses for too long; we always bury the dead straightaway.
“My sister died a few days ago and she should have been buried in the village two days ago; the people in the village have been asking for the corpse.
“So that is why we are appealing to them to release the corpse to us so that we can take the body to the village in Kogi state; we are Igala”.
The situation at the hospital belies the claim by the Minister of State for Health, Khaliru Alhassan, who after the Executive Council of the Federation, FEC, meeting on Wednesday, said permission has been granted to relatives of victims to carry the bodies of their loved ones.
Ms. Zainab, distraught about the development, wanted her sister’s body released.
“We always take corpses home, whether we are Christian or Muslim; they said we should write applications, which we have done, yet the bodies have not been released,” she said.
Similarly, Kazim Akpa, who was at the hospital to claim the remains of his friend’s wife, said that he had been waiting to claim the body since Monday.
“My friend’s wife died in the bomb blast; that is why I have come; the hospital officials are in the process of releasing the body.
“We saw her body on Monday. The hospital authorities asked us to return for the corpse since there is a procedure to follow before the body will be released.
“They say they are almost finished now,” Mr. Akpa stated.
The Assistant Chief Information Officer, National Hospital, Rabiah Labaran, said that family members need to be properly identified before the bodies would be released to them.
“Those who have been able to identify their dead relations, have written an application for the release of the bodies; and this will be done as soon as possible,’’ Ms. Labaran said.
Ms. Labaran also said that some survivors of the blast were being treated at the hospital and that a list of the survivors had been made available to help family members locate them.
She said that the victims had been responding to treatment, adding that the hospital management had been settling the bills while waiting for government funds as promised.
Ms. Labaran also said that the Red Cross had donated dressing packs for the injured.
She said that some state governors had visited the hospital to see the survivors.
She listed some of the visiting governors as those of Imo, Borno, Kwara, Lagos, Nasarawa, and Sokoto states.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...