Court fixes March 21 for hearing of CBN Governor, Sanusi’s suit

Sanusi filed for restraining order against police, SSS.

A Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday fixed March 21 to hear a motion filed by the suspended Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Lamido Sanusi, seeking enforcement of his fundamental right.

Mr. Lamido had filed the suit through his counsel, Yemi Osibanjo, seeking an order restraining the police and officers of the State Security Service, SSS, from arresting, detaining or otherwise harassing him.

Joined as first to third respondents in the suit are the Attorney General of the Federation, AGF, Inspector General of Police, and the SSS.

When the case was mentioned on Friday, Justice Ibrahim Buba adjourned it to March 21 for hearing, following an application for adjournment moved by counsel to all the respondents.

The counsel to the AGF, Oscar Nliam, holding the brief of Mike Ozekhome, informed the court that his office had just been briefed on the matter. He said they were yet to receive all the processes filed by the applicant, and therefore prayed the court for a short adjournment to enable him collate all processes.

The counsel representing the Inspector General, Chukwu Agwu, informed the court that he was only notified Thursday night by his boss from the Force Headquarters that the suit will be coming up in court. He said that the second respondent was yet to receive the processes and also prayed the court for an adjournment to enable him look at the processes when they arrive.

In the same vein, the counsel representing the SSS, Ahmed Musa, also aligned himself with the submissions of his colleagues, adding that an adjournment will be to their favour especially as parties were still within time of filing.

The counsel representing the applicant, Kola Awodehin, did not object to the prayers for adjournment, but noted that the suit bordered on fundamental rights enforcement and ought to be dealt with expeditiously.

Justice Buba, however, in a short ruling, adjourned the case to March 21 for hearing.

The court had, on February 21, granted an interim order of injunction, restraining the respondents from arresting, detaining or harassing the applicant, pending the determination of the motion on notice.

The interim order was sequel to an affidavit of urgency filed by the applicant on the same date.

The court also granted the applicant leave to serve the originating summons and other accompanying court processes on the respondents.

Mr. Sanusi was suspended as the Central Bank Governor by President Goodluck Jonathan last week Thursday after he was accused of financial mismanagement.

The CBN governor recently exposed the non-remittance of $20 billion by the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, to the federation account thus causing many to question the motive for his suspension.

(NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: Revealed!!! The Only Way Left of Getting an Extra Large Manhood and also Last Up to 38Mins+. Get the Insider Secret Here


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • emmanuel

    This man is headed for jail. CBN is not a place to commit this kind of fraud.

    PT you mention $20 NNPC funds. I hope you know what the senate is doing with the false alarm, which you keep badieing to satisfy the need of your paymster? I am sure that after this one, the mugu will shut up, because everybody don know why he made all the allegations.

    A rogue who wants to boss the president of a nation.

    I am so happy that Jonathan asked Ngozi against all odds to serve as Finance minister, if not Sanusi would have drowned this nation.

    • alfa

      Only time will tell

    • Tonnero

      Fo olish man. Even your president does not have the guts to accuse him of fraud. The accusation was “financial recklessness”, a laughable excuse for removing a serving CBN governor who has three months to the end of his 5-year term against the letter and spirit of the CBN Act of 2007 and risking damage to the economy. Clearly, it was more important to remove SLS AT ALL COSTS rather than risk leaving him there to finally bury dumbo and his band of female thieves. Only you Oduah supporters, dumbo supporters and supporters of $10.8b spent on subsidy will not see this. Your brains are clearly not working so go and dig up some yams. You need too much brain power to do that.