Mr. Nyako blasts the federal government for poor handling of the Boko Haram crisis
By, Babayola Jauro
As anger and frustration continues to mount over the incessant killings by suspected Boko Haram members, the Adamawa State governor, Murtala Nyako, on Thursday said the federal government imposed state of emergency in affected states had failed.
Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe have been under emergency rule since May 2013.
Mr. Nyako in an interview with journalists in Adamawa on Thursday said the Boko Haram crisis was getting out of hand and new strategies were needed to tackle it.
The governor was reacting to the latest attacks by the sect in Madagali and Michika, in Adamawa. He said the state of emergency slammed on Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States had been defeated.
Mr. Nyako criticised the federal government, which controls all Nigeria’s security agencies, for failing to foil Monday’s attack on the Federal Government College, Buni Yadi, Yobe State, where at least 29 students were killed. He said the attack was predictable since school children had previously been murdered in the same way, in the same state.
“There is no excuse whatsoever. We want to know more from the authorities. By now, the authorities should be able to know what is happening. We should be able to know where these arms are manufactured and even the signatures of the weapons. We ought to know who ordered it, who paid for it, how did it come to the country, from where were they shipped, through which port in Nigeria they arrived and who cleared it.
“President, Vice President, Governors and the military – they are the only groups that pass checkpoints without being searched and which of these groups are conveying these arms to the scene of the action. We want to know,” he stated.
He alleged negligence on the part of security officials in preventing several attacks including that on the school and in the death of a retired army general, Mamman Shuwa, in 2012.
The governor said the army often failed to respond during the course of attacks by the outlawed sect. He demanded to know why there was always delay in the military’s response to attacks.
“The other aspect is that army withdrew from the checkpoint, before the attack in Yadi –Buni, who ordered the withdrawal. We also have a case where General Shuwa was killed by so called Boko Haram. There are army unit there but they didn’t respond during the incident, who told them not to respond, when Shuwa was being attack?
“The air force base was being raided, there is unit of army nearby, who gave them order not to response until all the aircraft were destroyed?
“These are questions that need answers. So either this thing is controlled by unknown fellows or unknown Boko Haram strategic commanders in the defence system or staged-managed. We have reached a point to come out and tell them our displeasure over the way the situation is escalating,’’ he said.
He said the recent attacks in a nation already fatigued by Boko Haram killings had ridiculed President Goodluck Jonathan’s claim of success against the sect.