The JTF also said all the victims were students.
The Joint Task Force, JTF, in Yobe State on Thursday said 29 students were confirmed killed from the massacre in Federal Government College, Buni Yadi, on Tuesday morning.
The JTF is the joint operation of the military and other security agencies and is leading the battle against the insurgents in Yobe.
The Yobe JTF spokesperson, Lazarus Eli, in a telephone interview with PREMIUM TIMES, said the official number of students murdered is 29.
He also said that the victims were all students of the college and no teacher was involved.
“As of this (Thursday) morning, I have 29 student casualties from the attack. We have not gotten any additional. Yes, they are all students, no teachers,” Mr. Eli said.
Dozens of secondary school students were on Tuesday morning murdered in their sleep at the college. There have been reports that the casualty may be as high as 50, until the JTF’s statement that it remains 29.
The outlawed Boko Haram sect is suspected to be behind the attack which took place around 2 a.m.
The sect had carried out a similar attack in Yobe last September killing over 40 students at the College of Agriculture, Gujba.
Also, earlier in July last year, Boko Haram carried out an overnight attack on students of Government Secondary School, Mumoda, killing over 40 students.
Mr. Eli, who is also a lieutenant in the Nigerian Army, noted that the state is calm now.
Meanwhile, the President, Unity Schools Old Students’ Association, USOSA, Muhammad Nuhu-Koko, on Wednesday called on the Federal Government to immediately shut down all eight Federal Government Colleges in the North Eastern States of Yobe, Borno and Adamawa.
Mr. Nuhu-Koko also called for transfer of all the students in these Unity Colleges to other Federal Unity Colleges in the country to continue with their studies. He also called for an immediate deployment of adequate personnel to secure the schools pending evacuation of the students to safer environments.
Several Nigerians and international agencies have condemned the massacre and asked the federal government to do more to protect lives and property across the troubled North-Eastern part of Nigeria.
Yobe, like Borno and Adamawa, has been under emergency rule since May 2013.