Nigeria Human Rights Commission condemns Yobe students killing

National Human Right Commission, NHRC logo

About 40 students were murdered in their sleep on Monday night.

The National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, on Wednesday condemned the attack on students of Federal Government College Buni Yadi Gujba Local Government Area, Yobe state by suspected Boko Haram members.

The Executive Secretary of the NHRC, Bem Angwe, was quoted in a statement by the Chief Press Officer of the Commission, Fatimah Mohammed, as saying, “the killing of these innocent students was dastardly and horrific.”

Scores of secondary school students were on Tuesday morning murdered in their sleep at the college.

The outlawed Boko Haram sect is suspected to be behind the attack which took place around 2 a.m.

The sect had carried out a similar attack in Yobe last September killing over 40 students at the College of Agriculture, Gujba.

Also, earlier in July last year, Boko Haram carried out an overnight attack on students of Government Secondary School, Mumoda, killing over 40 students.

Mr. Angwe said the commission was ready to continue working with all relevant authorities towards bringing peace and reconciliation in the North East region of Nigeria in order to avoid further violations of people’s rights.

“The Commission has been proactive in human rights monitoring protection and promotion and will do everything within its mandate to ensure that Nigerians whose rights are violated can have redress
through the Commission,” Mr. Angwe said

He also called on the Federal Government to hold the perpetrators of the act responsible by facing transparent trial in a court of competent jurisdiction.

On the same note, while commiserating with the bereaved families, Mr. Angwe called on relevant authorities to urgently put machineries in place to ensure that the families of those who survived the attack and those of the deceased are given the necessary social and economic support in order for them not to suffer further human rights violations.

A state of Emergency was declared in Yobe, Borno and Adamawa states in May, 2013 by President Goodluck Jonathan, following insurgent attack in the region by the dreaded Boko Haram sect.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: Revealed!!! The Only Way Left of Getting an Extra Large Manhood and also Last Up to 38Mins+. Get the Insider Secret Here


TEXT AD: This NAFDAC APPROVED Solution Will Make You Stay Longer Than 40Mins In Bed Tonight And Help Your Erection. Click Here To Read The Free Reports


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.