EFCC re-arraigns three men over alleged N7.9 million fraud

The men obtained money under false pretences from community.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Monday re-arraigned three men for allegedly defrauding Angel Estate Residents Association in Amuwo-Odofin, Lagos of N7.9 million.

The defendants, David Eshiet, 44, Samson Ugbara, 47, and Adesanmi Aderoju, 43, were re-arraigned before Justice Kudirat Jose of an Ikeja High Court.

They are facing a six-count charge of conspiracy, obtaining money by false pretence, forgery and uttering.

The defendants were previously arraigned on March 13, 2013 before Justice Olabisi Akinlade.

The trio had pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail in the sum of N500,000 each.

During proceedings, the EFCC Counsel, Ben Ubi, said that the re-arraignment was necessitated by Mr. Akinlade’s transfer out of the criminal division. Mr. Ubi asked the court to order the defendants to re-take their plea. His request was granted.

He alleged that the defendants had conspired to fraudulently obtain N4 million and $25,000 (N3.9 million) from the complainants.

The prosecutor said that the money was obtained on October 27, 2011, under the guise of helping the complainants to source a loan of $100 million (N16.6 billion). He said the association wanted the loan to finance some community projects and that the defendants had obtained the sums as processing charges.

Mr. Ubi also accused the defendants of forging various documents which were used in facilitating the fraud.

According to him, after collecting the money, the defendants failed to secure the loan as promised, which led the complainants to petition the EFCC.

He said that offences contravened Section 1, (sub-sections 1,2,3) and Section 8 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006 as well as Sections 363 and 364 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2011.

The offence of obtaining money by false pretences attracts between seven and 20 years imprisonment, if an accused is found guilty.

All the defendants, again, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Following the re-arraignment, their Counsel, F.O. Udokporoh, urged the court to allow them to enjoy the bail earlier granted to them by the former judge.

The judge acceded to his request and adjourned the matter till May 19 for trial.

(NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.