Bama update: Boko Haram kills 47, destroys public buildings

FILE PHOTO: The victims were fleeing Boko Haram lingering attacks on their villages

The police confirmed the casualty.

The Police in Borno State have confirmed that at least 47 people were killed when gunmen suspected to be members of the Boko Haram attacked Bama Town early on Wednesday morning. 

The Boko Haram, who stormed the town at about 4 a.m. when the residents were asleep, used different ammunition including Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) to destroy public structures, including the palace of the town’s monarch, the Shehu of Bama. 

The Borno State Commissioner of Police, Lawan Tanko, confirmed the casualty figure to journalists on Wednesday evening. He said the casualty was the figure the police had “gotten so far as at afternoon”. 

Mr. Tanko, who spoke on a phone call initiated by Borno-based journalists, said “every land mark building the local government secretariat, the state lowcost housing estate, schools and several other buildings, as well as part of the Shehu’s palace were destroyed.”
 
“As at the last time I spoke to my DPO in Bama, we have had 47 dead casualty recorded, while several number of persons were confined injured, some already in hospitals there. I have instructed my men to liaise with the hospital if we can have a figure on the dead casualties,” the police commissioner, said.
 
Journalists have been unable to communicate with residents of Bama as all available GSM networks there remained switched off. 

Bama is situated some 130km from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, and has remained one of the local government areas that has suffered more attacks from the Boko Haram in the past 24 months. 

The attack on Bama happened barely nine hours after the state governor, Kashim Shettima’s convoy drove through the town while returning from Izge where about 106 persons were slaughtered by the Boko Haram on Saturday. 

Mr. Shettima was in Abuja on Wednesday to brief President Goodluck Jonathan on the Bama attack.

The governor had on Monday, after briefing Mr. Jonathan on the increased attack by Boko Haram on civilian villages, lamented the security situation in the state.

Mr. Shettima said on Monday that the Boko Haram were better armed and motivated than Nigerian soldiers, a statement frowned at by the presidency.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: Revealed!!! The Only Way Left of Getting an Extra Large Manhood and also Last Up to 38Mins+. Get the Insider Secret Here


TEXT AD: This NAFDAC APPROVED Solution Will Make You Stay Longer Than 40Mins In Bed Tonight And Help Your Erection. Click Here To Read The Free Reports


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • Abdullahi Abba Bukar

    May the souls of the innocent ones rest in peace, amin. It is becoming clear now that the jihad is aim at wiping out Islam and Muslims in the region and not what BH or some religion organisations are making to believe – the institutionalisation of Islam.

    It is a pity no government officials ( President, Senate President, Speaker HOR or even the government Loud Speaker – Maku) care to pay condolence visit or even speak on it or make condolences on NTA as they did for Balat of the Kaduna State. The NTA itself didn’t care to give an update – perhaps because Loud Speaker didn’t want them to do so because those killed are mostly from a religion faith different from the most valuable one to them.