Mr. Zubairu allegedly suffocated.
A journalist in Yola, Adamawa State, Aliyu Zubairu, and his wife, Nazira, died on Sunday night in a fire outbreak allegedly caused by electric surge.
Mr. Zubairu, who was the Adamawa State House of Assembly correspondent for the Nigerian Television Authority, NTA Yola, was asleep when the fire broke out after electricity was restored at about 1 a.m. on Monday.
According to neighbours and relatives of the deceased, the smoke from the fire suffocated Mr. Zubairu, whose wife refused to be rescued until her husband was safe too.
“The smoke from the burning fire may have contributed to death of Zubairu and his wife. We all saw the smoke and the flames, and we all trooped out to give a helping hand; but sadly Zubairu had already fainted due to inhalation of too much smoke.
“We were able to break the window and found that the wife was still alive, and when we told her to escape through the window, she said she would not until her husband was helped out. And before we could say Jack Robinson the fire engulfed the whole building making it impossible for us to help out. That was how they both died in the fire,” a neighbour, who spoke to PREMIUM TIMES on phone, said.
The Chairman of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, NUJ, Adamawa State Council, Salisu Mohammad, commiserated with the family of the deceased. He eulogised Mr. Zubairu as a hard working, easygoing and god-fearing man.
Mr. Muhammed implored all working journalists in the state to subscribe to the NUJ life insurance package which he said would go a long way to assist bereaved families of journalists.