Extremist attacks have increased in Egypt since last year’s removal of President Mohammed Morsi
At least three people have been killed in a bomb attack on a tourist bus in Egpyt, authorities said.
The attack occurred in the increasingly lawless Sinai Peninsula. The victims include South Korean tourists and an Egyptian driver.
At least 13 other South Koreans were wounded, and were being treated in hospitals on either side of the border, reports say.
The bus was attacked as it tried to cross into Israel, officials said.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but officials suggested the bus was hit by a car bomb or roadside bomb.
Egypt has seen increased extremism since the overthrow of the country’s first democratically-elected president, Mohammed Morsi.
Mr. Morsi was removed in July 2013 by the military led by Abdel Fattah al-sisi. Mr. Sisi is now preparing to run for the presidency while Mr. Morsi is standing trial for four charges.
On Sunday, his lawyers walked out of a court sitting in protest of his incarceration in a sound-proofed glass cage.
The bus was reported to be heading into Israel from St Catherine’s monastery, a popular tourist destination near Mount Sinai.
A number of militant groups operate in the area, and Bedouin tribes live largely outside of the control of Cairo.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...