Mr. Orubebe has been accused of corruption
The former minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe, who was sacked last week, has declared his intention to contest the Delta State governorship election in 2015.
Mr. Orubebe was removed from office alongside three other ministers, including former aviation minister, Stella Oduah.
The four former cabinet members were asked to resign their positions to save them the embarrassment of being sacked.
Mr. Orubebe announced his interest for the governorship post in Asaba on Saturday during a civic reception in his honour by a group, Delta People’s Forum.
He said that he accepted calls from the forum to resign, and return to his home state to serve his people.
“As I was driving past the streets of Asaba, I saw some posters with different inscriptions, including the one welcoming me as the next governor of the state.
“I want to let you know that as your humble servant, I will be there for you come 2015,” he said.
As minister, Mr. Orubebe was enmeshed in several cases of corruption, which he neither defended nor was he punished for by the government.
In 2012, a group, Anti-Corruption Network, ACN, headed by a former member of the House of Representatives, Dino Melaye, accused Mr. Orubebe of corruption and abuse of office.
In a petition to the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, the group accused the former minister of accepting gratification of a palatial mansion in Abuja, to award contracts to his cronies.
He was also variously tongue-lashed by the Rivers State Governor, Chibuike Amaechi, for poor performance, especially for failing to complete the East-West Road, which is vital to the economy of the Niger Delta region.
Mr. Orubebe said that he was in support of Delta States governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan’s, administration and would work with it to move the state forward.
He paid tribute to President Goodluck Jonathan and late President Umaru Yar’Adua for appointing him at different times as minister.
Mr. Orubebe called on the president to run for a second term in office, saying that he had achieved a lot for the country and deserved to run again for presidency in 2015.
“On behalf of DPF, I ask Nigerians to give Jonathan a chance to serve the country for another four years,” he said.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...