Shekau spoke in a new video.
The leader of the Jamaatu ahlis sunnah lil daawati wall jihad, otherwise known as Book Haram, Abubakar Shekau, released a new video on Wednesday disputing claims that he has died.
The Hausa service of the BBC quoted the Book Haram leader as taking responsibility for last week’s killings in Benisheikh, Borno State. He reportedly said that contrary to reports over 200 people died in the attacks, and not 160.
The Boko Haram leader also took responsibility for a similar attack in Monguno Town recently. He said his group will not stop its violent acts until an Islamic government guided by the Sharia is put in place, adding that they will continue to fight the democratic governance being practiced in Nigeria.
The Joint Task Force, JTF, had in August issued a statement in Maiduguri saying Mr. Shekau might have died of gunshot wounds sustained in a shootout with soldiers.
The video is the first statement by the sect’s leader since the military’s statement.
The Boko Haram, outlawed by the government, is responsible for the killing of thousands of people in various violent acts in Northern Nigeria. The Federal Government declared a State of Emergency in three North-Eastern states in order to check the activities of the sect.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...