The state police commissioner confirmed the new Boko Haram attacks but said he is awaiting details.
Boko Haram gunmen dressed in military fatigue on Tuesday evening staged another attack on Benisheik village 75km away from Maiduguri, killing at least 23 and burning hundred of houses and scores of cars, witnesses and security sources said.
The village of Benisheik was as at Tuesday remained completely sacked as residents fled for dear lives.
Garba Ngamdu, an aide to the Borno State governor, Kashim Shettima, who is from the village, told journalists that the gunmen killed 5 persons in Benisheik and set ablaze at least hundred houses and shops.
But other witnesses said not less than 23 persons were killed by the insurgents.
His words; ‘The attack occurred in the evening of Tuesday at about 6p.m, when the Boko Haram gunmen attacked our town, killing five persons and burning several houses, not less than hundred had been counted. They also attacked motorists and killed several persons of which I cannot give actual figure of casualties,” Mr. Ngamdu said.
Borno state police commissioner, Tanko Lawan, confirmed the incident but said he was yet to gather details.
“It was an unfortunate incident that happened in Beisheik. But we are yet to get details of what happened especially on casualty figure. We have sent a team of our men down there to ascertain what happened so that we can brief the press properly,” he said.
A commercial driver, Haliru Ismail, who spoke to journalists at the Motor Park, said “the gunmen who attacked us were dressed like soldiers, and carried heavy arms”.
“After they stopped us they asked us all to come down from the bus; and then one of them hit me on the head with the butt of his gun. It was then I knew they were not soldiers and I had to fall on the ground and pretended to be unconscious. They started firing, and asking some others including women to enter their packed vehicles. They were more than 30 in number dressed in military uniform.
“Other vehicles parked ahead and after mine were also attacked. Women and children continued to wail and asked for mercy. I heard voices saying shoot everyone from Maiduguri, kill them all. I continued to lie on the floor until about 7:30p.m when they drove off.
“I had to crawl into the bush and remained there till day break. I saw more than 20 trailer trucks burnt completely; I saw about 30 cars and buses also burnt. The newly built boarding primary school was burnt; the local government secretariat was burnt, the Federal Road Safety Highway office was also burnt; and the local government lodge was also burnt down completely.
“We walked on foot together with women and children, all crying until we entered Maiduguri at about 11a.m.”
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...