A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mike Ozekhome, who was kidnapped by unknown gunmen on August 24, has been released by his abductors.
A family friend to the Ozekhomes and former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode told PREMIUM TIMES he had a telephone conversation with the lawyer this morning.
“I just spoke to him and he was very excited to be free,” the former minister said. “He was full of thanks to God and was in very high spirits.”
Mr. Ozekhome’s elder brother, Pius, also confirmed the lawyer’s release to the News Agency of Nigeria.
The spokesperson of the Edo state police command could not be reached to confirm Mr. Ozekhome’s release, but a source within the command, who asked not to be named because he was not authorised to speak on the matter, confirmed the human rights lawyer had been freed by his abductors.
Mr. Ozekhome was seized in Benin on August 24, with his abductors killing four police officers on patrol who tried to prevent the abduction.
The names of the murdered officers are yet to be released by the police high command.