The man was first charged in 2009.
After four years in custody without trial, the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecutions says it has established a prima facie case against a businessman, Tunde Adio, accused of armed robbery.
The directorate on Tuesday said that 26-year-old Mr. Adio has a case to answer.
The businessman first appeared before a Yaba Magistrates’ Court on August 10, 2009 over alleged armed robbery and illegal possession of a pistol.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the court could not take Mr. Adio’s plea that day but remanded him in prison custody, pending the directorate’s advice.
When the case was mentioned on Tuesday, the Magistrate, Bola Folarin-Williams, said that the directorate’s advice indicated that a prima facie case had been established against the accused.
Mrs. Folarin-Williams instructed the prosecutor to prepare for trial and ensure that his witnesses were available in court on the next adjourned date.
“If the accused does not have legal representation, the Office of the Public Defender should be contacted to provide one for him,’’ she said.
The prosecutor, Inspector Chris Takim, had told the court when the accused was charged that he committed the offence on August 9, 2009.
Mr. Takim said that Mr. Adio, who resides at No.13 A Adebimpe St., Abule Egba, a Lagos suburb, robbed Segun Akinola at gunpoint and dispossessed him of N50,000 and a laptop.
He said that one locally made pistol and cartridges were recovered from the accused.
The prosecutor said that the offence contravened Section 402 (2) (a) of the Criminal Code, Law of Lagos State, 2003.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the section prescribes 21 years imprisonment for robbery.