The Information Minister said the military is achieving success against the insurgents.
The Federal Government has said Nigerians should have more confidence in security agencies after the Killing of Abubakar Shekau, the Boko Haram leader.
The Joint Task Force, Operation Restore Order, in Maiduguri, Borno State had on Monday said intelligence report available to it “revealed that Abubakur Shekau, the most dreaded and wanted Boko Haram Terrorists leader may have died”.
The statement by its spokesperson, Sagir Musa, had said Mr. Shekau “died of gunshot wound received in an encounter with the JTF troops in one of their camps at Sambisa Forest on 30 June 2013.”
According to the statement, “Shekau was mortally wounded in the encounter and was sneaked into Amitchide – a border community in Cameroun for treatment which he never recovered.”
Briefing journalists after the weekly meeting of the Executive Council of the Federaton, FEC, the Minister of information, Labaran Maku , said government had since decided to allow the military authorities tell the story of how the war on terrorism was going and not make it political.
“You will notice that since the President proclaimed the state of emergency three months ago we have decided that it is better to allow the ministry tell their story, you will notice that you have not heard me speak of the state of emergency not because we don’t want to, but because we want to remove this security operation from any misunderstanding particularly from politicians than us. We have decided that it is important that the military’s carries out its tasks, tells the public what it is what it is doing, it’s results and so on,” it said.
The most important thing is to make sure that we all allow the military to tell the story of what is happening out there in the implementation of the state of emergency.
“From the reports you and I have received so far, it is very clear that the state of emergency has achieved a lot of significant results for which all Nigerians are proud of the performance of our military and other security services” he said.
“We will continue to allow the military tell the story”, Mr. Maku said, adding that rather than lose confidence in what the military was doing, Nigerians should be encouraged that the Joint Task Force was closing in on the insurgents and is almost running them out.
“This people (insurgents) are on the run and clearly we will continue to allow the security agencies to tell the story,” he added.
The minister, who commended the media for the role it has played in objectively reporting the situation, said it was also obvious that the state of emergency declared three months ago had yielded great results.
He said for the first time after four years, Borno was able to host a Durba .
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...