The Nigerian military has said that the casualty figure in the Yobe secondary school attack has increased to 29.
The military had earlier said 20 students and a teacher
were killed when gunmen, suspected to be Boko Haram members, attacked
a secondary school in Yobe.
The spokesman of the Joint Task Force in Yobe, Eli Lazarus, confirmed the updated casualty figure in an email to PREMIUM TIMES.
He said gunmen suspected to
be Boko Haram Terrorists attacked Government Secondary School Mamudo, near Potiskum Town in the early of Saturday.
He also said 4 students sustained injuries and are in “critical condition.”
Mr. Lazarus said no arrest has been made while a “cordon and search operation” is ongoing in the general area.
A witness said many of the victims were burnt alive by the attackers.
The Associated Press said its reporter found chaotic scenes at a hospital in Potiskum where the bodies of the victims were taken to, as parents struggled to identify the bodies of the children.
The attack occurs less than one month after gunmen, on June 16, killed seven students and two teachers in a government secondary school in
Damaturu; and nine students a day later in neighbouring Borno State.
The attacks occur despite the State of Emergency imposed on Yobe, Borno and Adamawa by President Goodluck Jonathan in May.
The Nigerian military had claimed after the June attacks that the
nature of the attacks showed the Boko Haram were being defeated.
Saturday’s attack will further lead to the question raised by
opponents of the emergency rule on whether it has been effective as the terrorist attacks have not stopped since the emergency rule. The military has, however, said it is winning the war against the insurgents.