“We cannot specifically identify those behind the attack, but the attack is unusual,” The Ondo State PRO said.
The Ondo State Police Command said 54 of the 175 prisoners that escaped when gunmen attacked the Olokuta Medium Prison on Sunday have been re-arrested.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, Wole Ogodo, said in Akure that the arrested inmates had been returned to custody.
Mr. Ogodo said it was not true that 10 travellers were killed during the jail break. He said no death was recorded during the incident, adding that the attack was mainly aimed at freeing some members of the gang being held in the prison.
No fewer than 175 inmates, on Sunday Morning, escaped from the facility when gunmen numbering about 30 attacked the prison located on Ondo Road on the outskirts of Akure.
The Comptroller of Prisons in the state, Tunde Olayiwola, had told journalists that the attack was unusual and that the culprits would soon be brought to book.
Mr. Olayiwola said the incident happened around 12.05 a.m., adding that the attack was not masterminded by the Boko Haram as being speculated in some quarters.
“We cannot specifically identify those behind the attack, but the attack is unusual.
“One of our officers was injured during the attack and he is in the hospital right now receiving treatment.
“But I am assuring that those behind the attack will brought to book,” he said.
Mr. Olayiwola said the attack was the first of its kind in the history of the prison.