Ogun University, student leader denies death of students during protest

The Students Union Vice President denied the shooting of any student.

The Olabisi Onabanjo University in Ogun State has denied that any student was killed when armed policemen dispersed hundreds of protesting students on Monday.

The students were protesting the decision of the university to prevent students who had not paid their fees from writing examinations scheduled to commence on Monday.

There had been some online reports that two students were killed by the policemen who successfully dispersed the students with tear gas; with some students accusing the security forces of physical assault.

The Acting Registrar of the school, Omolara Osunsanya, told PREMIUM TIMES on telephone that no student was killed in the crisis. She said any contrary report was false.

The Vice President of the Students Union Government, Kikelomo Ajayi, who also denied the shooting or death of any student in the protest, said they had appealed to the university authority for the past three months to extend the deadline for the payment of fees.

She said the closure of the school portal for payment and generation of receipt made things difficult for affected students

The students leader said the union also pleaded on behalf of the affected students who have not paid their school fees for the 2010/2011, 2011/2012, and 2012/2013 academic session for an extension due to the present economic situation in the country; which did not go well with the school management.

The University has insisted that its policy still stands and the examinations would continue, despite the protests.

Meanwhile, the Ogun State Police Command has also debunked the report that two students were killed during the protest.

“The Ogun State Police commmand wishes to debunk the rumor of d killing of 2 students of Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye. No life was lost as the police teams were led by a respected Deputy Commissioner of Police,” said Muyiwa Adejobi, teh police spokesperson.

“It’s just a crude way of appealing to public sympathy by the originators. People are challenged to find out from those on ground so as to be sure of my assertions. You are hereby urged to disregard the rumor as the police will not do such a thing.”


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.