The Nonagenarian was kidnapped on Friday.
Over 24 hours after his kidnap, foremost Northern Nigerian leader and former petroleum minister, Shettima Ali Monguno, is still being held by his abductors.
The 92-year-old was kidnapped in Maiduguri, the Borno capital, as he left the mosque after Friday’s Jumat prayer.
His house, adjacent the Borno Government House in Maiduguri, has since been a Mecca of sort as visitors throng the place to condole with his family.
Many of the visitors spoke in hush tones about their prayers that the nonagenarian not be hurt by his kidnappers.
A security official at the residence told PREMIUM TIMES that the victim was allowed to speak to his family members for a few seconds after his kidnap. The call, initiated by the kidnappers, is the only contact the family or anyone has had with the kidnappers since then, the official said.
He said Mr. Monguno told his family he was being treated well by his abductors; who made an unannounced ransom demand.
Borno elders also had an emergency meeting with the state government and heads of security agencies on Friday evening over the kidnap.
The elder statesman was yet to be released by his abductors as at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Kidnapping for ransom by the Boko Haram has been on the increase in Borno. A report by the Nigerian Government available to Reuters indicate that the insurgent group were paid N500 million to free seven French hostages they kidnapped two months ago.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...