The annual MID fashion show will hold on Sunday.
The annual MID Fashion show which specialises in displaying Islamic fashion outfit is scheduled to come up on Sunday at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.
Amina Mohammed caught up with the Managing Director of MID, Adetona Abdulhammed, in Abuja for a chat on the event and more. Excerpt below:
1. What is the name of your clothing line?
Muslim Identity (MID)
2. How did you get started with Muslim Identity?
I started it as an undergraduate and went into it full time by my third year in school.
3. Why ‘Muslim Identity’ (MID)
It all started while I was looking for a practical solution to Muslim Women been modest and still stylish with their outfits. You know as an undergraduate you meet several Muslim young ladies who dress indecently based on what is available and follow the trend…hence, I decided to create a practical solution to this by contacting International Islamic brands and becoming a distributor, and in turn make available outfits that are stylish, comfortable and modest.
4. You just mentioned Muslim women and sisters. What of your fellow brothers?
Our clothing line caters for both gender, although, we have more of the female brands than the male brands. The male brands includes Islamic Inscribed T-Shirts and Executive Jalabiyyahs.
5. Are you a fashion designer?
Not exactly. My company Muslim Identity (MID) own franchises of various top Islamic International Clothing Brands. We work closely with them in the design and production of our wears as we are more familiar with the Nigerian market.
6. What does fashion mean to you?
Muslim Identity sees Fashion as an expression of Faith.
8. How would you define your personal style?
Simple, Natural and industrious.
9. Where do you get your inspiration?
The Islamic way of life.
10. Fashion business is very competitive. How have you been able to overcome the inherent challenges and remain on top?
Our success stems from our business model. The most important thing is to know your market and have offerings that will not only satisfy their needs, but do so at a pocket friendly rate. We are the foremost provider of Islamic fashion in Nigeria and of course you know the segment is largely obscure. We have executed some innovative concepts in the course of getting to where we are today, but our underlying principle is to offer our customers the best quality at very affordable prices.
11. What are the most important steps you have taken to grow your business?
The first was identifying a need and the quality Islamic brands that services that need. Then we organized promotional programmes/events like organizing Islamic Fashion Show and Exhibitions; Organizing a tour of Nigeria for Sister Na’ima B. Roberts, Editor-in-Chief, Sisters Magazine; organizing As-Souq Expo, a 2 Day Pre-Ramadan/Eid Trade Expo; designing and manufacturing School Uniforms /Compound wears for Secondary Schools through our International Partners; launching of the first Islamic Online Store in West Africa, www.midkollections.com
12. How do you stay ahead of competitors?
One of our core values is excellent Customer Service Relations/delivery. We place much emphasis on having well satisfied customers. Of course our Packaging and branding are second to none. We have also made it easy for our customers to view our collections online by launching our website www.midkollections.com
13. What advice do you have for aspiring fashion outfits?
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
14. Where can readers find out more about you and your work?
On our official website www.midkollections.com
15. What one piece of advice would you give to someone wanting to start a career in fashion?
Don’t be derailed from your dream. Success comes to those who persevere.