The monies would be used to re-build houses lost in the flood.
No fewer than 900 victims of last year’s flood disaster in Sandamu Local Government Area of Katsina State have shared N11.3 million as assistance by the Federal Government.
Abubakar Yusuf, the Special Adviser to the State Governor on Community Development, stated this while distributing the donation to the victims in Sandamu on Tuesday. Mr. Yusuf said the amount was part of the N300 million released to the state by the Federal Government to assist last year’s flood victims in addressing some of their problems.
The special adviser sympathised with the victims and urged them to make best use of the fund. He also urged them to desist from blocking waterways, as well as to clear drains and dispose refuse properly to avoid reoccurrence of the disaster.
In a remark, the Caretaker Chairman of Sandamu, Sani Sabo, said the victims had earlier received relief materials from the state and local governments, as well as Non Governmental Organisations and philanthropists. He thanked the Federal Government and other donors for the gesture, saying it was a demonstration of their concern to the plight of the victims.
One of the victims, Ja’afaru Baushi, thanked the Federal, State and Local governments for the assistance which, he said, would be used to re-build their houses.
Governor Ibrahim Shema had two weeks ago in Matazu, said 10 people died in the flood which affected 10,000 people in 18 of the 34 local government areas of the state.