Update: 14 Boko Haram members killed in Kano Easter raid- JTF

Al Shabab used to illustrate the story.

A woman and a child were among the corpse seen after the raid.

The spokesperson of the Joint Task Force, JTF, in Kano, Ikedi Iweha, has said that 14 insurgents were killed in an early morning raid in Kano.

Mr. Iweha told Reuters that the task force killed the 14 suspected Boko Haram members during the morning raid.

Reuters also quoted a military source as saying one soldier was killed and another seriously injured in the raid; while a suspected suicide bomber was arrested in a car packed with explosives.

PREMIUM TIMES had earlier reported the JTF raid in Anguwa Uku area of Kano. The raid is believed to have succeeded in foiling a major suicide attack in Kano on Easter Sunday.

“This operation was conducted following a tip-off from our intelligence. You can see that there are over 10 of the terrorists all dead,” Iliyasu Abbah, an officer in the JTF told Reuters.

A witness, who asked not to be named, said he saw a woman and a child among the dead.

Read our earlier story below

The explosion and subsequent gunshots in Anguwa Uku was a result of a raid by officers of the Joint Task Force, JTF, on a suspected insurgent hide-out, security sources have said.

A security source said that the JTF got information of a major operation (suicide bombing) planned for Easter Sunday in Kano and stormed the hideout of the attackers very early in the morning. They reportedly engaged the attackers in a shoot out that lasted nearly two hours.

The spokesperson of the JTF, Eli Lazarus, is yet to talk to the media on the raid, though sources said a statement will be released soon.

Read our earlier story below.

Reports from Kano say an explosion has occurred around Anguwa Uku along the Zaria Road highway.

A resident of the area said the Joint Task Force, JTF, has already arrived the area and cordoned off the explosion site thereby blocking the ever busy highway.

He also said casualty figures, if any, cannot be ascertained now because of the restriction of access to the area.

Another explosion is also reported around the restive Eastern Bye pass area.

Premium Times is unable to confirm the incidents at the moment.

Efforts to reach the spokesperson of the JTF, Lazarus Eli, were unsuccessful as his lines were continuously busy.


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.