Two suicide bombers attacked a park in Kano on Monday.
The Kano State Police Command on Tuesday said 22 persons had died and 65 others injured during the suicide bomb attack at a motor park in Sabon Gari, Kano, on Monday evening.
Initial reports had indicated 25 deaths in the bomb that rocked the peace of the city on Monday.
Briefing journalists on Tuesday, the Commissioner of Police, Musa Daura, said in Kano that the attack was executed by two suicide bombers who rammed their vehicle against a bus loaded with passengers at the park.
“Two suicide bombers drove a Golf car, blue in colour, into the luxurious bus motor park along New Road Sabon Gari Kano.
“They attacked and hit a loaded bus belonging to Gobison Motors which was taking off to Lagos and sparked off a serious explosion,” Mr. Daura said.
He said this caused the bus to burst into flames which affected passengers, hawkers, traders and other workers at the park.
The police boss said five buses were burnt during the incident, adding, “fire fighters were immediately summoned to the scene and the flames were put under control and the whole area was cordoned.”
The commissioner said those who survived the attack are currently receiving medical attention in hospitals in the city, while the corpses had been deposited in the morgue.
Several Nigerians including President Goodluck Jonathan have condemned the Kano explosion.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack although members of the Boko Haram are suspected.
Another death in Kano
There had been reports making rounds that a police woman was shot by gunmen in Maiduguri road in Kano.
The police commissioner confirmed the killing.
He said the victim, who was attached to Zone 1, Headquarters of the police, was killed while replacing a flat tyre on her car.
Mr. Daura said that investigations into the two incidences have commenced.