Police IG orders special security for health workers after murder of three Korean doctors in Yobe

Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Abubakar

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, has ordered special security for all medical personnel involved in the ongoing routine immunization hours after unknown assailants gruesomely murdered three North Korean doctors attached to a local hospital in Potiskum, Yobe State.

The attack came a day after unidentified gunmen Friday morning shot dead nine female health workers in two separate attacks during a routine polio immunization.

Police spokesperson, Frank Mba, said Mr. Abubakar’s directive was sequel to the recent attacks on health workers in Kano. The gunmen, who came in a tricycle, shot dead three women at Filin Kashu and injured three others, while another set of gunmen also attacked Shargalle Health Centre and killed seven women.

The statement said that the special security arrangement also covered medical personnel involved in other special medical tasks.

The statement directed Commissioners of Police in the states and Assistant Inspectors-General of Police, especially those in charge of the northern states, to devise security strategies to prevent further attacks.

But shortly after the statement was distributed to journalists, news broke that the three foreign doctors, who were in the state as part of the technical exchange programme between the state and North Korean, had been killed.

Reports say one of the physicians was beheaded as the attackers stormed the apartment where the doctors were accommodated, officials said. The foreign doctors had no security and had moved around the city for years unmolested.

Workers in the hospital initially told PREMIUM TIMES the men were Chinese. But state officials later explained that those killed were Koreans.

Yobe state Commissioner of Police, Sanusi Rufai, said Sunday night his men had commenced investigation into the incident and that 10 arrests have been made.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks although security officials suspect Boko Haram insurgents might be responsible.

 

 

 

 

 


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.