Ondo State Deputy Governor, Ali Olanusi, has said that the state government would not be distracted by the number of petitions filed against the election of the state governor, Olusegun Mimiko at the Election Petition Tribunal.
Olanusi, who spoke with reporters in Akure on Friday, said the petitions would not deter the Mimiko–led government from working to actualised the aspirations of the people for the development of the state.
The Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Congress for Progressive Change, CPC, and Accord Party, AP, have all filed petitions at the tribunal challenging Mr. Mimiko’s declaration as governor by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
The parties based their actions on the claims that the election was fraught with irregularities.
But, Olanusi described the allegations by the parties as untrue and a way to distract the Labour Party government in the state from focussing its attention on efforts to deliver development to the people.
“As far as I am concerned, the last year governorship election in Ondo State was the best in history of any election in the state. People of the state could testify to it. Even international observers certified it free and fair. Those petitioning against the election are just wasting their time,” the deputy governor said.
On the plan by Mimiko to go back to PDP, Olanusi said such information was rumours he does not believe in.
“If Governor Mimiko is going to PDP, he would have told me. Up till now, there is no place Mimiko told me that he would leave Labour Party for PDP,” he said
Besides, the deputy governor also reiterated the commitment of state government to bring dividends of democracy to people of the state.