The computer based test will become compulsory for all candidates in 201.
All the candidates who will sit for the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, examinations from 2015 will do the Computer Based Test, the Registrar of the board, Dibu Ojerinde, has said.
However, only 15 per cent of candidates sitting for the examinations in 2013 will use the Computer Based Test procedure, the board’s registrar said on Thursday in Kaduna.
Mr. Ojerinde stated this at a campaign to promote the newly introduced method of examination.
The campaign was conducted at the Kaduna State Ministry for Education, Kaduna State University, Kaduna Polytechnic, National Board for Technical Education, NBTE, and the National Teachers’ Institute.
Mr. Ojerinde said the sensitisation campaign was designed to educate candidates sitting for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations, UTME, on how to use the computer.
He said the programme was designed to ensure that candidates move from the use of paper and pencil in examinations to full usage of computers.
He, however, said the computer based test would only become compulsory for all candidates in 2015.
He said it would also guarantee faster release of results, assuring that candidates who sat for the examinations using the new method will receive their results 30 minutes after the examination.
“It will ensure prompt delivery of raw scores and will also check examination malpractice,” he said.
The JAMB boss and his team had earlier visited Lagos and Rivers States for the campaign during which leaflets and other educational materials were distributed.
At the Kaduna State University, the Vice Chancellor, Barnabas Qurix, said the institution, which serves as the venue for UTME, is fully ready for the commencement of the computer based test.
On its part, the NBTE Executive Secretary, Mas’ud Kazaure, said the board would ensure that all polytechnics and technical institutions under it are equipped with relevant facilities for the test.