The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), has confirmed that eight persons lost their lives at the St. Rita’s Catholic Church suicide bomb attack.
A statement signed by NEMA’s Kaduna Zonal Public Relations Officer, Aliyu Muhammed, said that 145 others were injured in the attack.
It said that the corpses of the victims had been deposited at various hospitals in the city.
According to the statement, four of the corpses have been deposited at Barau Dikko Specialists Hospital, three at 44 Military Hospital, while one has been deposited at the Garkuwa Specialist Hospital.
The statement said that 81 injured persons were receiving treatment at Barau Dikko Specialist Hospital, while 35 others were being treated at 44 Military Hospital.
It said that 15 injured persons were also receiving treatment at St. Gerrad’s Hospital with five among them were under critical condition.
Meanwhile, the Kaduna State Commissioner of Police, Olufemi Adenaike, had in a telephone interview with NAN earlier said that only three persons were killed with seven others injured.
Mr. Adenaike said that the victims included the lone bomber and two worshippers “a man and a woman”.
He said that seven others were receiving medical attention at various facilities within the city, with two under critical condition.
The Kaduna State Police Command said on Sunday that a suicide bomber attacked St. Rita’s Catholic Church in Badarawa area of Kaduna, killing “scores of worshippers”.
The Commissioner of Police, Olufemi Adenaike, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kaduna that the command was yet to ascertain the actual number of casualties.
Mr. Adenaike told NAN that the attacker drove a Honda CRV Jeep, laden with bombs, into the church building at about 8.46 a.m.
“I cannot confirm the number of casualties as most of them, including the remains of the bomber, have been taken to various health centres in the metropolis for attention,” Mr Adenaike said.
A correspondent of NAN, who visited the church, reports that the bombing destroyed substantial parts of the church building.
Security has been beefed up in the city. Men of the Nigerian Army and the Nigeria Police have been deployed in various locations of the Kaduna metropolis to maintain law and order.
Meanwhile, the Kaduna State Government has called for calm and urged the people to ignore rumours of reprisal attacks for the church bombing earlier in the day.
In a statement in Kaduna, Reuben Buhari, the Senior Special Assistant (Media) to Governor Patrick Yakowa, said anyone caught spreading such false information would be made to face the full wrath of the law.
He, however, condoled with those who lost their loved ones and properties in the blast.
Mr. Buhari stressed that the security agencies were on top of the situation and assured residents of adequate security.