The victims of Anambra flooding are stranded in an open field.
Flood victims in Igbariam community, Anambra East Local Government Area, are stranded, with some properties they were able to salvage, in an open field as no relief camps have been set up to shelter them.
The victims said they are depressed, and called on the state and federal government to urgently send help to them.
The victims made the appeal through the secretary of the community, Donatus Nduba, when the state Governor, Peter Obi, visited the area on Wednesday to assess damage caused by the flood.
Mr. Nduba said more than 100 buildings have been destroyed and 200 families displaced by the flood.
He said that out of the seven villages in the community, five were affected by the flood caused by the overflow of Ezu River.
Another community leader, Chuma Okafor, expressed dismay over the disaster and described the damage as enormous.
He said the flood destroyed crops, such as yam, rice cassava and maize.
A nursing mother, Chinyere Nweke, whose house was affected by the flood, said that the incident has brought untold hardship to the community.
She appealed to the government to come to their aid to enable them to re-start life.
After assessing the situation, Mr. Obi promised that government would do all it can to rehabilitate the victims.
The victims were still in an open field with some of their salvaged property as no camp had been provided for them.
Meanwhile, Obi has promised to establish schools at various resettlement camps for flood victims to assist school children to continue their education.
The governor stated this when he visited some of the victims at St. Augustine Primary School, Umu-Anam, Anambra West Local Government Area.
“We don’t know when the flood would stop but what we will do is to establish schools in camps.
“We assure you that when this is over, we will help you resettle back and rebuild your houses,” he said.